These Lilley medals have been donated to the School over the years by recipients of the award or their families. They are the School’s most prestigious academic awards and some of the most treasured items in the School Archives.
The medals are named after Sir Charles Lilley and are presented at the School's annual Speech Day and Prize-giving ceremony.
The Lilley Gold Medal is awarded to the Dux of the School and the Lilley Silver Medal (Upper School) is awarded to the Dux of Year 10. The Lilley Silver Medal (Lower School) is awarded to a Year 9 student for a high-level of proficiency in Latin and English.
On 1 February 1869, at the School’s opening ceremony (at its original Roma Street location), the Hon Charles Lilley (later Sir Charles), as Premier and Trustee, announced his intention to initiate and endow the gold and silver medals which bear his name.
This brief video presentation honours the boys who have received this award each year for outstanding academic achievement, and features some of the medals donated to the School across 80 years, from 1869 – the year the School first accepted students – to 1949.