Grammar ready for new school year despite storm damage

​​Brisbane Grammar was hit hard by last November's storm, but Headmaster Anthony Micallef said the school will be ready for the start of the academic year next week.


BRISBANE Grammar School will open as normal on Tuesday, January 27 despite a clean-up bill in the millions of dollars and significant damage to a number of buildings during last November’s powerful storm.

Headmaster Anthony Micallef said huge progress had been made since the storm lashed the school on November 27 and he was excited for the year ahead.

“Work repairing the damage began just days after the storm,” he said.

“It wasn’t until afterwards that we could see the full extent of the damage. There was repair work to do in every building on campus. Fortunately we already had builders on site and they were able to switch their attention.”

Mr Micallef said Grammar’s Art Centre was hardest hit by the storms, with three classrooms in the centre to remain out of action for the first month.

He said other arrangements were in place to minimise the disruption.

The storm event, which forced students to miss several days of school, was described by Premier Campbell Newman as the worst storm to hit Brisbane since 1985, with winds up to 141 km/h and hail causing carnage across Brisbane.

Troops from Enoggera Army Barracks supported the SES in the response, which affected almost 90,000 homes, schools and businesses.

Mr Micallef said the storms hadn’t put a damper on the start of another exciting school year.

“I’m really looking forward to the students returning and welcoming all new BGS families,” he said.

“Together with staff we are all in preparation for another productive year. Everyone from the academic and professional staff to the students contribute to the culture that enables such great results.”