Brisbane Grammar School was established on principles of philanthropy when subscribers first contributed to a building fund in 1861, and has benefited from the generosity of its community since it was founded in February 1868.
The War Memorial Library appeal, led by Stuart Stephenson (Second Master) and a committee of BGS Old Boys, raised approximately £3,000. In today's dollars the project value was over $150,000.
The Headmaster of the time, Mr Henry Pigott was hampered by a shortage of funds so actively sought donations, culminating in gifts to the School from one of our earliest and greatest major benefactors, Frank Walker. Mr Walker was a friend of the School who was very wealthy and generous. He delighted everyone by donating to the School more than £11,000 for a new gymnasium including a swimming pool, rowing clubs, pianos and beds.
Cobb and Co. donated funds for a bursary so that deserving boys could have four years of free education.
The School launched its most successful campaign in 1958, the Centenary buildings appeal, with a goal of raising $150,000. Although the campaign committee had a few challenges getting the momentum going, by 1968, the campaign had raised a total of $500,000, which in todays dollars the funds raised is similar to $4M.
A Bequest from BGS Old Boy Mr D.J.J. Adsett, was used to buy instruments for the School's C adet Band.
The P&F decided to support a bursary worth £50 a year to enable a boy to attend the School.
The Boatshed opened following a committee of BGS Old Boys, parents, Trustees and teachers raising $10,000.
Arts Centre (Music) campaign raised $515,000.
The Endowment Scholarship Fund (now Bursary Fund) was established to raise funds to provide bursaries. The Endowment Scholarship Fund grew to a base of $3M by 2004 through preserving enrolment confirmation fees.
Indoor Sports Centre campaign raised $2.6M of which the P&F Auxiliary provided $1.5M.
Centre for Art campaign raised $527,000; the P&F Auxiliary contributed $200,000, while the Art Committee contributed $100,000.
The Lilley Centre campaign raised $6M, with the P&F Auxiliary contributing another $1.5M.
BGS received its largest donation ever, $1.4M from Old Boy Simon Fenwick '87 to fund a full boarding bursary for an Indigenous or regional student in financial need.
The P&F Auxiliary helped kick off the School's Campaign 2020 with a pledge of $500,000 to provide a 50% bursary in perpetuity for a student in financial need.
|2017||Old Boy Matt McLennan '86 donated $657,000 towards the long-term redevelopme nt and refurbishment plans for Harlin House.|
|2018||The War Memorial Library Appeal was generously supported by the P&F Auxiliary with a donation of $250,000. The Old Boys' Association (BGS OBA) commited $10,000 and will drive efforts to raise additional funds.|