This straw boater belonged to Frederick Hopp (BGS 1928-1930) and is the only one in the School uniform collection. In November 1929, the School Magazine editor commented, 'The revival of the “boater" hat is occupying the minds of many boys of the School. It is felt that uniformity of dress would be desirable, in order to give schoolboys, and particularly those of the BGS, a distinctive appearance. Other reasons for its adoption need not be given here. No doubt it is the unconventional instinct which prompts this idea. Very often he who defies the ingrafted [sic] custom later proves to be a genius.'