• 069
    Sargood Shield 1878

    The Sargood Shield is named after Lieutenant Colonel Sargood, who started the cadet movement in Victoria in 1884. The Shield came to the School in 1890 following the School’s consecutive wins in the Intercolonial Rifle Competition in 1888, 1889 and 1890. This satisfied Lt-Col. Sargood’s stipulation that the shield’s permanent ownership required three wins, two of them consecutive. It was made by the French silversmith Leonard Morel-Ladeuil in 1878, and was originally known as the Bunyan Shield, illustrating scenes from John Bunyan’s The Pilgrim’s Progress.​