• 082
    Moreton bay trees planted by princes

    ​These two Moreton Bay fig trees were planted by two grandsons of Queen Victoria on 19 August 1881, when they made an official visit to the new School on Gregory Terrace. Prince Albert, (often referred to as Edward, one of his middle names) and his younger brother, Prince George (later King George V) each planted a Moreton Bay fig tree in the School grounds to commemorate their visit to the colony.

    ​In their address to the assembled visitors, staff, boys and girls from both Grammar Schools, they referred to the earlier visit of their uncle and his association with the foundation of the School. Their uncle HRH Prince Alfred, later Duke of Edinburgh, laid the foundation stone of the original School at Roma Street on Saturday 29 February 1868.​