Congratulations to our Director of Boarding Berian Williams-Jones, winner of the 2021 Australian Boarding Schools Association Premier Leadership Award. Mr Williams-Jones has 33 years of experience in boarding schools across the UK and Australia and has been an essential part of BGS Boarding since joining as Director of Boarding in 2016.
His work for boarding families and compassion for the boarders themselves has seen BGS Boarding excel.
In his five years at BGS, Mr Williams-Jones has introduced several innovations, including:
- introducing a boarding student committee to ensure student voice on a variety of issues from the dining hall menu to activities
- implementing wide-ranging academic and wellbeing enrichment programs
- introducing a three-day residential induction program that includes camping under the stars
- pushing for improved facilities and playing a key role in designing and developing a new Middle School boarding house (Giffith House) and the redevelopment of Harlin House (open early 2022)
- introducing Graduate Boarding Assistants and establishing a teacher rich model of staffing
- implementing a new sign in and out system to improve safety for boarders
- establishing House Family Tutor groups to build connections across BGS Boarding and provide bespoke tutoring.
In recent times, Mr Williams-Jones has done exceptionally well leading BGS Boarding during the COVID-19 pandemic. His judgment greatly benefited Brisbane Grammar School, and colleagues from other schools also benefited from his understanding of related issues. His care for boarders across the state has motivated his work.
Join BGS Virtual Boarding Night on Tuesday 14 Sepetmber to ask Mr Williams-Jones questions as he hosts a panel of students and a parent. Register now.